Interceptive Orthodontics in Children
Speaker: Dr Kaberi Majumder, MDS, Orthodontist
Topic: Interceptive Orthodontics in Children.
- Rapid maxillary expansion and slow maxillary expansion appliances.
- Interceptive orthodontics in children
- Space regaining with Distalization of first molars using the pendex appliance
- Space maintainers
- Diastemata management; malocclusions in cleft lips post-surgical correction; management of impacted canines.
- Myofunctional appliances: Early management of Class I, Class 2 and Class 3 skeletal base relations and malocclusions. Use of the twin block, Head gear appliances and forsus device.
- Habit breaking appliances
Take home message
- 1. Catch malocclusions and abnormal skeletal growth patterns early checking the level of maturation of the cervical vertebrae to ensure the child is in the correct growth phase
- 2. The pre-pubertal and pubertal growth phases should be used to the advantage of early orthodontic interventions when the bony growth sutures have not completely closed.
- 3, There is only one Technician who has been trained to make the appliances used in early Orthodontics as practiced by Dr Kaberi Majumder.
- 4. Need for early detection and early referral to the correct specialist to manage the malocclusions.
The audience was clearly happy with the knowledge transfer and frankly it seemed that many General Dentists were hearing some of these things for the first time. There is a need for a hands on course for some of the appliances and more orthodontic lectures.